Monday, March 10, 2008

I don't live there.....

Good news! I no longer show up as Meridian Idaho on the live traffic feed thing. Yeah, now I'm from Wendall. What? I think my traffic feed in on crack.
Anyway....Tomorrow is an election day. There happens to be a plant facilities renewal levy on the ballot. That is money that goes toward the maintenance and upkeep of schools. I think it's important, and I'm totally for it. I would have voted, even if the school district wasn't forcing me to. I'm crazy like that. "What?", you say? Let me explain. We need a new high school here, so 2years ago, there was a very large bond on the ballot. It was supposedly enough for a new high school, and enough to add on to some of the elementary schools and such. The school district was desperate for it to pass. So they came up with this brilliant idea that every school in the district have some sort of event that night. Then, since all the parents would be at the school, they could vote, in case they hadn't already. So, our school decided to do a MANDATORY science fair. We were a little bothered that it was manditory. Other schools were doing reading fairs, talent shows, non-mandatory stuff. So, with 2 kids in school at the time, we did 2 fabulous science projects. Alex's was one of the top in the first grade, and Madi's was one of the top in her class. We were so proud, but so tired because we had stayed up until past midnight the night before trying to get it done. (we procrastinate) But, it was a success, and the bond passed by quite a few votes.
Now, fast forward 2 years, and here we are again. The school district is desperate for the levy to pass, so now every school has something going on tomorrow night. And guess what our school chose? Another MANDATORY, part of your grade, stupid science fair. The projects had to be turned in today. So with 3 kids in school, we had 3 science projects to do. We've learned since last time. We were only up until 11pm this time. : b. I guess I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't feel like were being forced to be there. I mean, as much as I dislike science projects, I really enjoy helping my kids, watching them learn, and seeing them succeed. It just feels like the school is being sneaky to get us there. It would be different if it weren't mandatory. My kids still would have participated. They like this kind of stuff. Am I wrong to feel this way? Should I just chalk these feelings up to hormones? Or do I have a valid excuse to be a little upset?

5 comments:

Ashlee said...

Our school is having the honor choir sing and we are having the ribbon cutting ceremony for our new library. SO glad we don't have a science project to worry about!

Are You Serious! said...

I wouldn't be too happy about having a "mandatory" something just so they could get us to vote! I vote anyway but still... Then it makes you wonder what they did with ALL that money from 2 years ago??? That's frustrating for me. I feel like most of them aren't using our money to the fullest, but that just me!

Thanks for visiting my blog! :)

Ashlee said...

I tagged you again..don't worry, it's an easy one!

Alicia said...

That would be very frustrating. Mandatory doesn't work for me either in public school, after school activities. But good for you for helping them do their projects, that part is awesome.

Bonnie the Boss said...

Thanks for the ideas.I knew you would come through for me. I haven't read that series. Who writes it?
Bonnie