Friday, March 21, 2008

We should have charged rent....

Last winter we would occasionally find a hornet sluggishly flying around our house. Weird. This went on all winter long and into the spring and summer. Nobody ever got stung, but it always freaked me out! One day, last summer, Cory decided to find out where they were coming from. He walked around the house, and noticed they were flying in and out of a hole on the side of the house. So, he went down into the crawl space (literally a crawl on your belly space) and looked around for the hornet's entrance. That's when a found a hornet's nest. Eeewwwww!!! It gives me the willies just thinking about it. He was armed with a can of wasp spray, and sprayed it directly into the opening of the nest-the entire can. Looking back, he's pretty lucky he wasn't poisoned, or attacked. And that was the end of having stinging bugs flying around our house. He never did go back and take the nest down. Well, this past week, we've seen a few baby hornets (that's what we think they are) in our house. Once again, eeeewwww! Freaks the kids out-and me, too. So once again, my brave shining knight of a husband braved the crawl space to check out the nest. Luckily, he didn't see anything in our crawl space. But he did decide to remove the nest. He brought it up to show the kids. This is what it looked like.

Well, this is what it looked like with all the paper/fiber covering removed. Gross, huh? Just look at all those little apartments. Think of all the money we could have made charging rent! Anyway....at least it's gone, now. But I'd still like to know where those other little bugs were coming from.

6 comments:

Ashlee said...

That's insane! What a huge nest. I don't think I've ever seen one that big...and to think it was inside your house {crawl space anyway}....
Way to go Cory! Like you said...glad he didn't get hurt!

Lynn said...

Way to go Cory is right! YIKES! Look at that large condo for flying pests. That is sure huge! What a great "Show and Tell" at school that would make though.

Montay said...

WOWZA WOWZA WOWZA EWWWWWW and OUCH I am glad that you hero came thru I would never never go down there if I saw that big nest thing and I am fairly certain my hubby wouldnt do it. So we would just have to move wait can you bring that over to my place I just had an idea....

Bonnie the Boss said...

Okay, Did you have your baby? I notice you don't have much time left. From the comment on my post I got to wondering.
Also one of the moms of the little girls reads my blog. She may kill me. I am hoping that since no names were mentioned she won't be upset.
Bonnie

Zach said...

Ewwww! Glad you got it out!!

Alicia said...

That gave me the willies, yikes. He wins the award for bravery.