Her science project question was "do all brands of microwave popcorn pop the same?" She thought they would. But she was wrong! We popped 3 different bags of snack sized microwave popcorn, each for the same amount of time. Then she counted how many kernals popped, and how many didn't. I thought that was a great 1st grade project. And she loved it!
Next, we visited Alex's room.
Alex did his project on Newton's third law of motion. He originally wanted to make a steam powered boat, but Cory went fishing, and I couldn't help him figure it out, so we changed it to a balloon powered rocket car. We found the instructions online. He was supposed to make a simple car out of styrofoam, but I didn't have any styrofoam meat trays laying around the house, so I suggested he try some of his cars. Yeah, that didn't work. His pinewood derby car was too heavy, and his matchbox car was too little. So, Freddy's meat dept gave us some styrofoam meat trays, and we bought styrofoam plates to cut out the wheels. Cory helped him put it together, and it worked!
Last, we visited Madi's room.
Madi did her project about seed germination. She originally wanted to do hydroponics (growing plants in water) but we waited too long to start, so she found out whether or not you can germinate a seed without soil. She "planted" some green bean seeds in a baggie, and some in some peat pellets. The seeds in the baggie sprouted after 3 days! It was pretty cool. The kids all got a kick out of watching the seeds grow. And Madi did a great job of taking care of the ones planted in the peat, making sure they had enough water. She did great!
At 6:30, they had an awards ceremony. They handed out 5-6 blue rosette ribbons per class, and 1 best of show per class. Gabby got a blue ribbon. She was so excited!She was sooooo happy. I don't know why she wouldn't hold her ribbon up so we could take a picture.
Then, Alex won best of show out of his class. Boy, he was excited! You should have seen him run up to the stage, shaking his fists above his head like he was the champ. It was so hilarious. He was worried when he didn't hear his name for a blue ribbon, so he didn't really think he'd win anything. I wish we had gotten a picture of him running to the stage. It was so funny.
Yes, that boy next to him is in the 3rd grade. He's a big boy. And that cute little girl on the bottom right? That's Hunter. Alex and Hunter are constantly in competition to see who can get the most AR points.
Madi won best of show in her class, too.
She was completely shocked. When they called her name, she just dropped her mouth, looked at me, then kinda stumbled up to the stage. I was so excited for her! There were alot of cool projects in her class. But Madi invested 2 weeks on her project, so I was so happy she was acknowleged for that. That is one of her best friends, Savannah, standing next to her.
So with the 2 older kids winning a best of show ribbon, Gabby was pretty upset. We tried and tried to get her to understand she did an awsome job, and that just because she didn't get best of show, that doesn't mean her project wasn't good enough. So hard for a 7 year old to understand that concept. The best of show winners got gift certificates to Imagination Station. I was so tempted to run out and get one for Gabby. But I refrained. I know that she need to experience dissapointment and learn how to deal with it. Better she learn it now, right?
Look at that poor, sad little face. Makes me want to cry. She's gotten over it, now, I think. But at the time, it was pretty devistating. I'm so proud of all of them. They did great jobs, putting their displays together with very little help (except Gab, she needed a little more help), and working on their projects. So even though the stupid thing was manditory, it all worked out okay!
Oh, the best of show from each class will be on display at the Mall from April 1-14. Come on down and take a look!


6 comments:
She looks just like you. :0) I would have wanted to go get an extra gift certificate too. I hate to see a broken heart. But thankfully all is well now! Can't wait to see you tomorrow!
Congrats Mom. We all know how much of thoes projects you were a part of. I only had to do one this year. My kids are all very close in age so one day I will be in your shoes. Have a good day.
Bonnie
Yea, that is outstanding, you are such a great mom. I was never good at Science fair stuff, but luckily Tyler is really into Astronomy so he can help them with scinecey stuff. I'll help with math and history.
Your kids are so cute...and talented!
Not only are they cute...they're stinkin' smart, too. Way to go, mom.
WOw! Those are awesome Science PRojects. YOu are so fantastic and so are your kids. I just happened to stumble upon your blog and I am really enjoying it. Hope you don't mind. My e-mail is on my profile.
You are so right about it being hard not to run out there and get a prize for your daughter. It's truly is a hard thing to just let them learn the disappointments now, so that they have the skills to handle bigger ones later. Kuddos to you! I love your parenting skills.
Post a Comment