Monday, January 28, 2008

Wind

Good Grief! The wind blew here in Twin Falls last night. I swear, I heard the wind blowing 100 mph, with gust of up to 1000 mph. When I got up to go potty, I looked outside, and we were still in Twin. I half expected to be up in the air, and see the wicked witch of the west flying past our window! It was the kind of wind that makes you think you may not have a roof in the morning. When I went back to bed, I couldn't sleep. So, instead, I lay there and let my worrywart imagination take over.
"What if the grill gets blown over, and the propane tank blows up?" (seriously, I was worried)
"I hope our garbage can didn't blow away."
" I hope the fence doesn't blow over" (it's happened before)
"What if the wind blows something into a window, and it breaks?"
I'm sure there were lots of other nonsense worries I can't even remember. But just to let you know these concerns may not be as ridiculous as they sound. A few years ago, for Mother's Day, I begged for one of those big, metal framed Gazebos. The ones with the curtains, and a place to hook up a light source on the ceiling. We don't have any trees in our backyard, and our patio isn't covered. So I thought it would help encourage us to spend more time outside if there was a reprieve from the scorching hot sun. We bought some nice garden chairs, and enjoyed it for about 1 month. Then, we had one of those freak summer wind storms, very similar to last nights. Our gazebo had been picked up (yes, picked up), turned on it's side, and thrown through the fence. THROUGH THE FENCE! Not kidding. That is the power that is the Twin Falls wind. We tried and tried to bend it back into shape, but it was never the same. It wouldn't stand up straight, kept falling over....defeats the purpose, ya know? So, when I say I'm glad our house is still intact, you'll understand! Hears hoping the rest of Twin Falls was as lucky.

3 comments:

Ashlee said...

Ha! I laughed so hard at your post because I did the SAME thing. Literally, I heard a loud noise in the backyard and as JAYSEN got up to go potty I asked him if he wanted to check on his grill. Sadly, the last BIG wind we had DID knock it over and broke part of it. He got his nice NEW grill for Father's Day last year. It's not even a year old and it's broken. Sigh.

Bonnie B. said...

Bummer! Cory would probably like this one to get broken so he could get a new one!

Alicia said...

That wind was crazy, and you sound just like me the night time worrying and then in the morning, I think did my mind really go here. However, I think you have a valid reason to worry, that is insane, we lost our blow up pool over the neighbors fence 2 summers ago, we never got it back, but their kids sure had fun in it.