To all those people who told me not to worry about jury duty, that I would never have to go in because everyone always settles before it goes to court, I just have one thing to say. WHATEVER! I have been called for jury selection THREE times in 2 weeks. And, I've been selected to sit on a jury once. I do not enjoy this specific civic responsibility!!! And, you'd think that with the end of the month being tomorrow, I'd be done. But, no. One of the times I was called to sit for jury selection was part 1 of a 2 part process. Last week several people had to come in and fill out a preliminary questionaire that the attornies and judge will look over. Then, according to those answers, they will excuse some, and call the rest in for a final jury selection next week. Wait a minute! That's February! My jury duty was supposed to end tomorrow! Arrrgh! Anyway, I'm hoping I answered all the questions right (or wrong, I guess) so I will be excused. This particular case is supposed to last 2 weeks. It's not a pleasant case, either.
Anyway, I'd like to share a few things I've learned from jury duty.....
1- Being 30 weeks pregnant does not exempt you from sitting on a jury. Unless you are in labor, you are free game.
2-The Bailiff is a very good person. Our's was FABULOUS! She told us her job was to spoil the jurors, and she did. She always had candy, water, pop, whatever we wanted, available to try to help us be more comfortable. She even bought doughnuts and fruit for us this morning. Unfortunately, even the nicest bailiff cannot make you feel comfortable about sitting in judgement of someone else.
3-Nobody wants the job of Jury foreman. That juror has to sign the verdict.
4-Listening to the same information over and over, for 2 days, is horribaly boring.
5-Listening to an attorny with no apperant personality is even more boring
6-Listening to an attorny who babbles about nothing during his closing statement is confusing, and boring.
7 -I picked the right profession when I became a nurse. I do not belong in the legal profession.
There you have it. That has been my week so far. Please pray for me that I don't have to go through this again next week!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
ahh! bummer. my mom had to go this week too. it totally sucks (but don't tell my husband i said that, he likes to go off about it being our civic duty... blah blah blah!)
So sorry Bonnie! I've never been called. But to be pregnant on top of everything else just sounds miserable. I didn't realize you were so far along already! How fun!
I have never been so fortunate and I am not going to complain. Sorry for you, but good luck.
Post a Comment